skip to Main Content
Are You Being Denied Prevailing Or Scale Wages?

Are you being denied prevailing or scale wages?

If you performed construction, security or cleaning work on a federal or District of Columbia Contract, you are probably entitled to “scaled” or “prevailing wages” under the federal Davis Bacon Act, federal Service Contractors Act. These wages range from $17.00 per hour to over $50.00 per hour, depending on the job classification.

And, if you are a security guard working in an Office Building in the District of Columbia you are entitled to be paid minimum wages of approximately $21.17 per hour and possibly a higher wage if you are a special police officer.

If Your Employer is Violating the Law, You Have Rights!

If your employer is violating the law, you can recover your unpaid wages and may be entitled to extra damages called liquidated damages. Those are damages in excess of your actual unpaid wages and are designed to provide extra compensation to you and punish an employer who violates the law. More generous liquidated damages awards (3 times the amount of losses) are available for employees who regularly spend more than 50% in the District of Columbia (even if the employer is out-of-state) or for employees who work primarily outside of the District of Columbia for employers with offices in the District of Columbia.

How Far Back Can I Go to Seek Unpaid Wages for Past Work?

You can recover unpaid or underpaid wages for work you performed as far back as three years from the date you received your last paycheck. Additionally, if your employer failed to give you written notice of the exact wages it was obligated to pay, you may be able to bring a claim for work performed as far back as six years ago.

Do you have questions?

If you have questions about this, contact an attorney who is experienced with the Davis Bacon Act, Service Contractors Act and local District of Columbia wage laws.

*This information on this blog is not nor is it intended be legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your particular situation.

Back To Top